Thursday 2 October 2014

Birthday coffee Mug



 Birthday Coffee Mug: The celebrity

 Smiling happy birthday coffee mug I am!  I entered this house as a birthday gift presented to my owner on her birthday by her special friend. Therefore, naturally I deserve an important and respectable place here. You see, guys, Birthday mugs are specially designed for birthday occasions with lots of specification. As you have not seen me personally, I would like to detail about myself. I am big and fair with a shining steel rim at the top, and a delicate steel handle, which beautifies me even more. All around my body  I have beautiful happy birthday literature in black and red, in different styles and fonts. My cousins Pinky, Greenie, Blackie and others are plain in looks and they are jealous of my beauty and status at home.

My daily work schedule starts at half past five in the morning. Reluctantly I get up and start to work. Hot brewing coffee I have to serve to my Boss. I take my first shower bath under the tap and get ready. Daily, almost ten to fifteen times, I take shower bath in the sink tub. Sometimes the water is cold, sometimes lukewarm. After the shower I am toweled and get ready to serve. With hot brewing coffee, I walk towards the main hall, where the bustling of the daily newspapers is going on. When I arrive in the hall with sweet floating aroma, my boss greets me with a splendid smile and stretches her hand out to me. Now I sit with her cozily for half an hour to forty-five minutes. This is the best time of the day for me. With my Lady Boss I read about Government’s Ordinance, the predicament of Scotland, the spiced Hollywood news, and SBI’s lending rates at the end. The freshness of the newspapers is so irritating to me that I want to imprint them with my round coffee stains. At this point I am worried about my existence. Reading about Existentialism has not only inspired, but prompts me to act in a positive manner. My woman boss tells everyone that I inspire her a great deal.
My owner’s friends admire my beauty in front of my cousins. How bad they feel! I always sit on the glass table and evaluate my beauty through the reflection. Sometimes, while me sitting precariously at the edge of the table placed by an insensible guest, I get the feeling that I may fall down any moment and break down into number of pieces and die as an unsung hero. My owner sensing my helplessness pulls me a little bit inside. A sigh of relief emits from me. There are some occasions,I get suffocated with the cigarette smoke when discussions are hot and spicy. I catch bits of that spicy discussion, when great writers as ghosts enter into the interaction with their works for critical analysis and approval. Usually after the discussions, drained out, I walk towards the kitchen to take a shower to refresh myself.
Between the showers I meet number of visitors, some very pleasing, some arrogant, some rude and undisciplined. By their touches I can unravel their nature and assess the thoughts buried in heads. Some guests who have aesthetic sense appreciate my beauty eying me from all sides, and praise coffee for its taste and fragrance. Guests who are engrossed in themselves, do not even notice whether they are drinking coffee or tea, leave alone my beauty. Some are so rude and uncultured that they handle me roughly and drink coffee making lots of noise, and at the end place me on the floor between their feet. Sitting there helplessly, I tremble that any moment they will trample me under their feet while leaving the place. Everyone has to die.
 In the evenings, I sit with Kafka, Dostoyevsky, Milton and other great personalities of yester years. All these companions make me heavy and sleepy. I cannot afford to sleep as I have to keep serving. Sitting very next to Kafka, I had a chance to glimpse through The Metamorphosis, and that interested me a lot. In the afternoon, when I am in the half-awake and half-sleepy state, I dream of metamorphosing myself into a beautiful bird or butterfly and fly away to an unknown island where words play no games


 Gayatri Desai

copyrights reserved

No comments: